…for surprise guests or sleep-overs or camping or…
On facebook, I just came across this portable bed made from pillows – it’s so quick and easy to sew you can whip it up in an hour!
“…sew 4 pillow cases together, insert the pillows and you have a bed for all purposes. It’s also easy to keep clean as the pillows just slip out and the covers can go in the wash!”
Sorry – the facebook embed code only renders as a link – no pics 😦
Immediately my mind started spinning and came up with a more elaborate (and certainly more time consuming!) alternative for quilters:
Instead of sewing ready-made pillow covers together,
- Lay out the pillows and measure to determine the overall size; adding an inch or two for each pillow to make the pillows slip in with ease.
- As the top layer, sew a full-sized quilt top (according to the measurements you took) and quilt it.
- For the bottom layer, cut a piece of sturdy fabric the same length as the top but 8 to 10 inches (20 to 25 cm) wider.
- On the two short sides and a long one, sew the top together with a sturdy fabric as the bottom layer.
- Then sew across both layers to make compartments for the pillows.
May take a while to do, but you get a one-of-a-kind portable bed with all your love sewn in. 🙂
If you’d like more detailed instructions for a quilted portable bed, please tell me in the comments. If there’s sufficient interest I’ll publish a pattern with a step-by-step tutorial.